- Early Morning Drop-Off begins at 7:30am
- K-5 enters the schoolyard through the Dean St. gate
- 3-K/Pre-K enters through the Pre-K playground
- At 8am:
- K-1 line up in the schoolyard and enter the school with their teacher at 8:05am. If your child arrives after their class has gone inside, they will enter the building and go straight to their classroom
- Students in grades 2-5 enter the school through the Dean St main entrance or the schoolyard door and go directly to their classrooms
- Staff members will be on hand to direct students to their classrooms
- Students arriving after 8:10am must enter through the Dean Main entrance
- 3-K/Pre-K students enter though the Pre-K yard
- 3-K/Pre-K students dismiss at 2:10 from the Pre-K playground
- Grades K-3 will dismiss from the main schoolyard. Parents may enter the schoolyard at 2:15 for dismissal. At 2:20, students who have not been picked up will move to the auditorium and can be picked up from the Dean St. main entrance
- Grades 4-5 dismiss from the Dean St. main entrance
- To keep dismissal moving quickly and safely, we ask that all parents/caregivers adhere to the following protocols:
- Do not remove your child from the line; wait for the teacher to dismiss your child to you.
- Please do not engage in a conversation with the teacher during dismissal so they can keep their attention on the students. You can reach out to the teacher separately or use Parent Engagement time, every Tuesday from 2:30-3pm.
Afterschool Dismissal Procedures
- YMCA dismisses from the schoolyard door
- Right At School dismisses from the Dean St. main entrance
Breakfast & Lunch
- All children are provided with free breakfast and lunch at school
- Menus can be found here
- The lunch periods are split in half to include both Lunch & Recess for each of the two grades.
- Period 4 Lunch – Kindergarten & 5th Grade
- Period 5 Lunch – 1st Grade & 4th Grade
- Period 6 Lunch – 2nd Grade & 3rd Grade
If your child has a food allergy, please inform your child’s teacher and the School Administrative team. DOE policy on food allergies can be found here.
Need to Drop Your Child Off Early?
Free early drop-off is provided everyday from 7:30-8:00am.
Need to Pick Up Your Child Early?
Stop by the School Safety desk at the Dean St. main entrance to sign-in. School safety will inform the main office, so your child’s teacher can be notified to send your child to meet you.
Is Your Child Absent or Late Today?
Notes are needed for absences and late arrivals. A quick email to your child’s teacher would be good too!
Cell Phone/Electronics Policy
Students are permitted to bring cell phones, smart watches, and other electronic devices to school but they may not be turned on or be at all visible during the school day. They must remain inside the student’s backpack. Cell phones or other electronic devices that are visible or are left on inside backpacks will be confiscated by the classroom teacher and given to a school administrator. In this case, a parent or guardian will be required to come to school to pick up the device. Cell phones and other electronic devices may not be turned on for use until the student is off the school grounds.
All toys, Pokemon trading cards, action figures, cars, etc are not allowed in school, which includes for lunch and recess. Students often spend more time playing with their toys than eating lunch. Toys also cause conflicts among friends and can get lost at school. If students need to bring in a toy for afterschool or any other reason, it must stay in the backpack until the end of the school day.
Below is PS 38’s school-wide homework policy, to provide a guideline, on the amount (in minutes) of homework we expect in each grade. Homework is rarely assigned on weekends although we encourage and recommend that our students read every day, whether it’s with grade level texts and/or children choosing what they want to read during their own time. The time ranges are a guide for you and your child. If your child finishes their homework quickly, additional reading is recommended. Your teacher can also recommend additional resources, including many wonderful literacy and math websites, for your child to explore. If your child is struggling within the given timeframe, please reach out to your classroom teacher for homework. We want to work together, with you and with your child, to help make homework a positive (as much as it can be!) and manageable experience.
|Grade||Reading||Written/Math Work||Total Time|
|Kindergarten||Read to/with your child 10-15 min||Rarely at beginning of Kindergarten|
5 min close to the end of Kindergarten
|First||10-15 min||10 min||20-25 min|
|Second||15-20 min||10-15 min||20-25 min|
|Third||15-20 min||20-25 min||35-40 min|
|Fourth||20-30 min||25-35 min||45-60 min|
|Fifth||25-30 min||35-40 min||60-70 min|